Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Happy with Tears

Above is a photo of one of the sweetest little dogs currently residing on planet earth. I was blessed with her company for less than a week and only willing to give her up to someone who was in a position to give her the kind of life she deserves. Yesterday that person surfaced via a series of events and she is now starting her new life in her forever home.

It all started on Saturday August 6th when returning from a trip to the post office, my sister decided to take an alternate route through an industrial park. We were just about to exit the area when down this very empty, no human in site road we saw running toward us this little dog. We stopped and I jumped out. The day was sweltering and this little girl was glad to stop though she was breathing so hard I thought she was about to pass out. I picked her up and, though she didn't pass out, she went sort of limp in my arms. It took her a few minutes but, she began to revive in the air conditioned car. She slept while my sister and I proceeded to canvass the neighborhood located across the street from the industrial park. After 2 1/2 hours or more, we came up with zilch. When I returned home I set up a place for her in my bedroom. Due to the fact that I also have a 12 year old corgi who is Mr. Social Guy when it comes to people but can quickly revert to Mr. Attitudinal with his own kind, she had to be stashed somewhere safe.

The thought of what he might do to her was going to be nerve racking for however long this was going to take. I immediately went online and posted the reguisite Found Dog info. The next day I thought we had found a good lead - unfortunately within 24 hrs. it was pretty obvious that this was not the case.

So, I decided that I would need to find her a good home. Being a small dog, I thought she might have a better chance of snagging one. By the next day, I had lots of offers of help from people at work and a very good lead from someone I know who does ongoing fostering and rescue work. When I returned home yesterday, there was another lead from one of the neighbors who had actually considered adopting her at one point. Saturday afternoon to Tuesday evening is really not long - but, apparently sufficient to form an attachment with a loving little dog. There was something almost angelic about this little girl - who we were calling Lucy since we found her on Lucille Ball's 100th birthday. At least I still have contact via the neighbor and I can find out how she's doing from time to time. The main thing is that now I think she'll have more freedom and can relax and claim her territory hopefully while receiving all the love and attention she deserves.

No comments: